Friday, August 29, 2008

Kimono exhibit

Today I visited the Suntory Museum of Art because of their Kosode exhibit. These are kimono worn by upper class Japanese in the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries as fashion and art. Kosode masters produced books with pages of black and white designs from which women would choose new ones to be made. The amount of work was incredible, for instance many were made of patterned silk (where a complicated pattern was woven into the silk first) then they were resin dyed (where resin is painted where you want the silk to stay white then removed after dying), hand painted and embroidered. Apparently women had different ones for each season and occation with appropriate themes. This was another highlight of the trip for me since some of the pieces were really spectacular. I've attached some pictures that I got off the web, so they're not the actual ones that I saw, but they're very representative and you get the idea.

No comments: